Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Hockey is back

Remaining hockey fans, I make a plea: come back to your sport. It's still sweet. I know you bailed when the salary cap robbed you of all your superstars, but the league-promised equality is settling in and hockey's just as fun to watch as ever.

I'm an Avs fan.

I attended the first game of the Avs' pre-season. I was terribly impressed by T.J. Hensick, but he's been banished to the Lowell Lock Monsters. I understand, although I'm disappointed he won't be around until one of our high-scoring stars is injured. Bringing in Czech star Hlinka is good news, though. Having spent a couple days in Prague, I find myself rooting for all Czechoslovakian hockey players. I never made it to Bratislava (both Rick Steves and a fellow traveler advised against a visit), but I fully support Slovaks like Marek Svatos (this is his year, I swear), Peter Budaj and man-giant Zdeno Chára.

Here's how I see our lines:
  1. Smyth-Sakic-Brunette
  2. Hlinka-Stastny-Hejduk
  3. Wolski-Arnason-Svatos
  4. McCormick-Richardson-Laperriere
Hejduk's top line material by any measure, but I want him to be our Forsey, putting up mad points against the other team's weak-ass second D-pair. Also, this brings a Czechoslovakian alliance to the second line. It worked for Jagr and Straka, so it'll work for Hlinka and Hejduk. Stastny's technically a North American/Denverite, but I'm calling him a Slovak for convenience's sake and a blind faith in some mysterious Czechoslovakian bond. Maybe this is the Urquell talking, but it all seems so right.

As for the third line, I feel Wolski and Svatos can and will put up big numbers if given enough ice time. Let these talented Eastern Europeans strut their stuff. Roll three lines equally, Joel, and watch as they all scorch overrated division rival goalies Luongo, Kiprusoff and Backstrom. These guys will shine against our rivals' bush-league third D-pairings. Svatos can burn anyone he wants one-on-one and Wolski's craftiness and ridiculously long stick will make mincemeat out of those peep-mouses. Arnason was our best player no doubt in lots of the games in the Avs' crazy late-season run last year, so he's going to freak people out again when they least expect it. Remember how he was going to be the hottness with the Sens? Well, that happened, except he's the Avs' third line center now tearing people up solo unless he needs to dish it to one of the magic Eastern Europeans for a tasty one-timer.

That takes us to the Avs' fourth line. Frankly, I don't care who's on it so long as they forecheck like idiots, finish their checks and crash the net also like idiots. Lappy will do these things, no question. He's also a hero-leader and amazingly good at popping off opponents' helmets during fights. I trust Brad Richardson and Cody McCormick to do the same once they're healthy.

Then there's the D. Add Hannan and Leopold, subtract Breezeby and Vaananen, and you've got a solid core. I'm seeing:
  1. Hannan and Skrastins
  2. Liles and Leopold
  3. Clark and Sauer
All things considered, the Avs will do better than John "poor music taste" Buccigross' seventh-in-the-West prediction, barring widespread injuries.

This team dominated the end of last season and has only gotten better since then. It's not as easy to insist they'll win the Cup as it used to be, but these guys aren't missing any parts and have proved some mettle recently. I have hope again and recommend you join me as they clutch the Campbell and beat the Drury-led Rangers in seven next year.

1 comment:

The Freakin' Deacon said...

Awesome...Unfortunately the strike and lack of cable made me an NFL fan, I hope to be coming back to the sport of my heart. But of course now that I live in Wisconsin, I rarely get Avalanche games, the only games I get are Minnesota Wild Games, hell I'd even prefer Blackhawk games over that. The lack of a world cup this year greatly pisses me off, but the 2010 games will hopefully bring some much needed life into the game of international Hockey.