Saturday, March 10, 2007

Five letters, four spellings

One of the things I do at work is process vouchers that people purchase. The instructions say to fill in the blanks on the voucher and return the "original letter to Alex Headrick’s attention." Somewhere after reading that line and addressing the envelope, people often get confused.

Wednesday, I received five letters, on which my name was spelled:

  1. Alex Headrick
  2. Alex Headricks
  3. Alex Headrixs (twice; also appeared on registered mail slip on back)
  4. Alex Hendricks
  5. Alex Headrick

Only 40 percent of people can correctly reproduce an eight-letter name? I can understand number two, because of the instruction to send it to "Alex Headrick's" attention. People often include the apostrophe in the address as in "To: Alex Headrick's." But how did the x's and n's get involved? Why are people trying to spell my name phoenitically when they're just copying it from the letter to the envelope? They have to copy the address too, so I doubt they are sealing the envelope and trying to do it by memory.

No comments: