Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gaming again

Against all expectations, Microsoft returned my Xbox 360 in a timely manner and I'm gaming again. Remember kids: aim low.



Once I got my system in the mail, my Xbox repair proceeded like last time. I waited two weeks, then a new system arrived with a note explaining that "so I can get back to playing and enjoying my Xbox quicker, Microsoft has replaced my Xbox console with a replacement unit."

This was a surprise, as my personalized Xbox Web site showed no repair status -- only the option to place a new repair. It said my warranty extended until February 2009, which was a good sign, given that my warranty should have been expired.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the phone tree was awful and frustrating. After a few weeks of blind faith following my shipping of my console, I called again, and the robot operator told me it had been received.

I gained some reassurance from this, but still had no idea when I'd get my 360 back. Just as I was cursing Microsoft for their failed repair service amidst their major Xbox Live revamp coming tomorrow, my super delivered some good news.

"You have a mail," he said.

I thanked him and went to his door.

"Also, you have a package."

And my super handed me a brand new Xbox, hopefully built to last this time.

I promptly unpacked it and started playing Guitar Hero World Tour, which I'd received from GameFly to little use a few days ago. I enjoyed myself, although Justin had already shown me what what in store via his Wii version. What I was unprepared for was the need to playing Hotel California to get the needed cash to buy the Tool level. This seemed to me to be unnecessarily cruel, but I played the rotten song for the money for the first and last time. I'd have been madder if not for the inclusion of Play it Again in GHWT and Bodhisattva in Rock Band 2. Respect The Dan.

Anyway, thanks, Microsoft, for defying my expectations. You may make an injury-prone console, but it's still my favorite, and you do a good job of patching it up when needed.

1 comment:

Justin James said...

Haha great post - glad you can fill your time with your xbox again ;)